Love Letter to The Crump consists of a collective love letter from the community showcased as a large-scale, exterior curtain along the eastern wall of the Art Deco theatre. Through a series of workshops, past memories and future aspirations for The Crump were translated into a graphic pattern inspired by Alexander Girard’s urban and textile design practices. Inviting both residents and visitors to reflect on the transformation process of places in Columbus, Love Letter to The Crump sparks dialogue about new forms and meanings for preservation, as well as shared values and processes that could guide decisions about heritage in our cities.

Materials - vinyl mesh digitally printed, metallic structure

Installation Sponsor

Schumaker Family

Fabrication Sponsors

ESL-Spectrum


Borderless Studio is an urban design and research practice focused on shaping communities through collaborative design. Led by Paola Aguirre Serrano, Borderless explores creative and collective design interventions that address the complexity of urban systems and social equity.

Borderless leads Creative Grounds, an ambitious initiative that responds to Chicago’s unprecedented number of school closures. Aguirre identifies the closures as an opportunity to have a collective conversation about the future of the city’s social infrastructure. With partners across the fields of art, design, architecture, and community outreach, Creative Grounds seeks creative solutions to support, accelerate and amplify repurposing of closed public schools throughout the city. Aguirre is also co-founder of the City Open Workshop, a platform for cultivating the interdisciplinary relationships fundamental to Borderless Studio’s practice.

Image credits: Creative-Grounds at Anthony Overton, photo by Steven Vance; The Subject is Chicago Exhibition.

At BORDERLESS, our focus is shaping communities through collaborative design agency and we do so through connecting communities to design and interdisciplinary connection. Promoting design excellence and community service in parallel – I deeply believe in the power of art, design, and architecture to inspire and cultivate stronger communities.

When John Crump opened the theater as Crump’s New Theatre in 1889, it was the first stand-alone opera house in Columbus. The Art Deco façade was designed by architect Alden Merenda in 1941 and the interior features various campaigns of additions and renovations. Despite numerous plans to restore the building, in April of 2019 the Crump was placed on Indiana Landmarks' "Top 10 Most Endangered List."